The country’s mobile phone companies - Iusacell, Nextel, Telcel and Telefonica - approved procedures so that reports for the loss or theft of mobile phones are handled in accordance with the principles of simplicity and transparency.
The new procedure will allow users to make the call advising of said loss or theft at the moment the event occurs, without complex requirements or information that such users do not have available.
- Report the loss or theft by telephone with a telephone company operator or go to a customer service center.
- Provide the specific information that the operator requests in accordance with the security policy.
- The operator validates the information.
- The line is immediately suspended and/or the device (equipment) is blocked, and
- The operator will then provide the customer with a folio number with respect to the report made.
It is advisable to:
Have the International Mobile Equipment Identity (or IMEI) on hand in order to provide same to the operator, which can usually be found printed inside the battery compartment of the phone, or by entering *#06# into the keypad of your cell phone.
In case the user has purchased the insurance policy for theft of equipment, and want to enforce the insurance policy, they should go to a customer service center and submit the Document (Certificate) issued by the office of the Public Prosecutor.
More detailed information regarding the procedure is available on the website of the Ministry of Communications and Transport (Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes, or SCT), and on the websites of each mobile telephone carrier.
Need anything? Contact us! We will be happy to assist you.